From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 08:29:48 -0600
When we have a 'new' family addition that doesn't eat very much, the first
things I think of are different food, hairball partial blockage, bad
teeth/gums, and of course depression.  After checking teeth and gums and
ruling that out, if the stools are skimpy then I try Petromalt (or other
hairball preventative) at the dose of 1 inch 3 times a day for 3 days.  If
I've ruled out a blockage then I try different brands of grocery store type
foods - Purina kitten chow, Deli Cat, Walmart Kitten, etc.  We normally feed
about 15 types of foods including ferret foods and high quality as well as a
couple lower quality foods (sometimes you just can't switch ferrets over
easily and an eating ferret is better than a starving ferret IMO - I have
one that eats Totally Ferret AND canned Whiskas ground Chicken).  I also
place a handful of little Friskies in a bowl of warm water.  Mmmmm... smells
good and entices the little ones to eat more.  O.k. so it isn't the best
but they are eating (I've tried this with the top quality brands and they
just glare at me).  Liquid supplements such as Resource or Restore are
usually accepted as well (warmed a bit in the microwave - stir with finger
to check for hot spots).  I see more depression in ferrets that have come
from families with children.  Have friends with children visit and watch the
response.  A visit 2-3 times a week can make all the difference in these
cases.

Ferrets that are not use to being caged may not do well in a caged
atmosphere.  This works the other way too.  Cages offer security to some
ferrets.

And there is always the force feeding method.  I caution here though because
if you are working with a parial blockage you can cause more damage than
good.  Be sure to rule out blockages first.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.  Remember what works for one ferret may
not work for another.

Hugs to all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving (I'm thankful for being able
to help ferrets). tle