From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:53:58 -0700
>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob C: Alive!; Selegiline Question; Adoption

Hi again Bob!

>I was asked about the use of Selegiline (L-deprenyl HCl/Anipryl) in ferrets
>to combat adrenal tumors.  I've heard of it being used in certain human
>nervous system disorders, but never with ferrets or with adrenal disease.
>Anyone have any knowledge or experience, including dosages?

Please, anyone with experience speak up!  This just came up on our Adrenal
List, and we need information.  One of my vets is recommending Lupron as a
drug to interrupt the pituitary-adrenal-pineary feedback loop that
stimulates adrenal tissue into hyperplasia and neoplasia.  She's had success
with it.  I haven't had a chance to ask her about L-deprenyl.

Also, if your male ferret is showing any signs of having urinary problems
and is suspected or confirmed of adrenal problems, treat for adrenal and
check into Lupron (which should help decrease the enlarged prostate).  Once
they block up due to prostate enlargement and ensuing urinary tract
infections that create mucous and crystals, it's difficult to bring them
back - catheterization is very difficult, and other problems, some fatal,
can arise.  Ferrets mask symtoms.  Urinary infections can be checked on with
a dipstick test a couple days a week (ask a vet), which I didn't know at the
time.  Percy blocked up and we lost him; he'd been treated for urinary tract
infections, and we couldn't see any blood in his urine, (like my cat's
gotten with UA infections) so we thought his treatment could wait a couple
weeks.  He was playful, but was dripping and urinating often.  Seven months
prior an adrenal exploratory showed normal adrenals, with some hyperplasia;
a bit of the right was removed and his hair grew back but, obviously, his
disease progressed.  Mary McCarty lost Bear in June to a urinary tract
blockage.  But it looks like our Adrenal List's Bobo is going to make it,
after a difficult struggle!  They can go on dripping and urinating often for
some time, but block immediately.  Don't wait!!!!  One of my vets used
Lupron (with Lysodren) for her pet adrenal-diseased ferret and the urinary
blockage (his prostate was very enlarged) completely cleared up.  He was
bouncy and quite furry on these drugs for three years, and she monitored him
closely for his insulinoma.  When he passed away a thorough necropsy showed
the prostate very small and the adrenal tumor shrunken.  It was a pancreatic
tumor that killed him, and some signs of heart problems related to his aging
(7.5 years old).

For info on the Adrenal List, write me.

Bob C.  I hope Sandy soars through her surgery and has a successful
recovery.  You're a great ferret dad and Elizabeth a great ferret mom.

>She is *so* very sweet, and licks the inside of my elbow for extended
>periods of time, with only the gentlest ocassional chomp.

Oh, I don't want to pop your romantic bubble (or any of your bubbles :), but
it's come up on the adrenal list lately that adrenal fuzzies may lick skin a
lot more than non-adrenal fuzzies, perhaps because of a salt craving and
maybe you could figure out why?.... I'm sure Sandy loves you ardently and
adamently all the same!

Hugs to all fuzzies, those lost from love, and those safe in their snuggle
sacks, furry, furless, black or purple, with a million toes or none...

Lynn and, always, the long-bodied fur Gang