From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 11:30:29 -0400
Laura C. Orta wrote:
>What is "dooking"???

The chuckling-burbling noise most ferrets make when they're happy or excited.

Rachel wrote:
>My three year old MF sprite has a swollen vulva.  [...] if there is no
>improvement, give her a hormone shot to see if that will bring her out of
>heat.  [...] Can heat resulting from leftover ovarian tissue be effectively
>managed through hormone shots?

Yes, but if she's three years old and this is the first time she's gotten a
swollen vulva, it's very unlikely that she has any leftover ovarian tissue.
It would have shown up before now.  I'd be thinking either an infection or
an adrenal problem, despite the lack of other symptoms.  If an antibiotic
doesn't clear it up, you might consider having the U. Tennesee adrenal panel
done (see the Adrenal Disease FAQ).

Mike Bourgoin wrote:
>In the winter time [our ferret's mask] takes on the shape of a V.  As
>springtime approaches it fills out to a "Lone Ranger" look.

Completely normal.  One of ours gets a nearly white head in the winter and a
full, dark mask in summer.

Ann wrote:
>My vet pointed out that laxatone being a laxative, it shouldn't be
>given to my critters any less then a couple of hours before and a
>few hours after meals

A good point, especially when talking about giving medication; but my
ferrets snack every couple of hours, all day long, so if I took this advice
too strongly I'd never be able to give them any hairball remedy.

>As for Toys.... What are appropriate toys for 10 - 12 week and up kits?
>Any different from adults?

The same toys work great.  You might be a little more careful about things
which could catch smaller toes, but that's about it.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>