From:
Kirk & Gaye Stantis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:41:48 -0500
A while back, I read a reference to a post on the FML concerning the large
Midwest cage being potentially dangerous.  I had missed some issues of the
FML, so hadn't seen why this cage was thought to be so.  I assumed that
maybe someone's ferret had fallen from one of the shelves inside.  I have my
cage rigged up with so many hammocks, that it would be impossible for my
fuzzies to fall any distance without landing in a safety net.

Well, tonight I had quite a scare.  Our two fuzzbutts were enjoying some
excercise and play time outside the cage.  They wear collars with bells on
while "on the outside" so we can keep track of them.  I had been talking on
the phone for about ten minutes.  When I got off, I realized that the little
hyperactive Houdini was not running around.  Where was she?  We used the
squeaky toy to no avail.  Then my daughter spotted her -- laying motionless
between her cage and the wall with her head UNDER the cage!  I ran to her
and picked her up gently.  I think her head must have gotten caught under
the plastic rim of the slightly raised cage bottom, especially with her
collar on.  Her head was soaking wet and warm.  Perhaps she had dunked it
into the cat's water dish and was trying to crawl under the cage to rub it
dry, I don't know.  All I know is that she was totally freaked out after I
picked her up and reassured her.  She went crazy!  She probably struggled
for some time, although it couldn't have been more than a matter of minutes.
She has gotten her head stuck between the bars of a Hendryx cage with a
loose weld before.  I thought she was going to choke herself back then!  Her
name may be Houdini, but these two incidents have not helped her live up to
that name!

Whoever wrote about a bad incident with the Midwest cage may e-mail me
directly to tell me about their experience, unless they would like to post
it again on the FML so that some of the new subscribers can read it to.

I love this cage, and so do my fuzzies.  This is probably one of those freak
accidents, but I thought I should share it with my friends here so that you
can be aware of the fact that this can happen.

Gaye & The Weasel Women
Ferret Bueller & Houdini