From:
James Makowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 14:00:19 -0400
Hi LeAnn.  I'm a newer ferret owner and saw your message about leases and
ferrets.  At the risk of getting myself in trouble, I will say that I
have a ferret in an apartment complex that doesn't allow "caged pets".
It allows dogs and cats, but nothing in a cage.  It was still the best
option for me in terms of housing though, so I told them I didn't have a
pet.  She's in her cage in a closet all day (with the door open most of
the time) but when I'm expecting maintenance men, I intend on shutting
the door or relocating her should the workmen need to work in her area.
Since they are relatively quiet animals and not quite as messy, I just
hope and pray that the workmen aren't super nosy.  Without good cause,
anyone who enters your apartment does not have the right to search your
space.  This includes police officers who need warrants.  As part of my
lease terms I am granted "Quiet Possession" of the apartment should I
abide by the terms of my lease.  My lease prohibits pets in general, and
makes a vague statement about the managers approval for any pets.  As
long as he "thinks" I am obeying the terms of the lease, I retain Quiet
Possession of the apartment, safe from harassment.  As long as I don't
give him cause to think I am breaking my lease terms, I'm safe.  Should
they find out about her, they must give me written warning at which time
I will relocate her to my parents house and promptly state that the
minute my lease is up, I will move because of the ridiculous rule about
caged pets.  I also won't hesitate to let the owners of the property know
why I am leaving.  Until that time, though, I remain cautious and happy
harboring my little girl.  If you can get away with it, I say do it.  But
make sure that they can't evict you immediately should they find out and
don't let a lot of people know about it unless you are absolutely sure
you can trust them.  All you need is one fight with a neighbor who knows
and you could be in trouble.

Regards,
Jim, Kathy and Nibbles