From:
James Makowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 13:57:57 -0400
Hi all.  I haven't written in a while, but I just wanted to add a few
comments to the climbing issue.  Either Nibbles is a totally atypical
ferret or ferrets do have the capacity to climb.  When she was a kit, we
got a real kick out of the fact that if my wife stood by the edge of the
bed wearing one of her long sweaters, Nibbles would come up to her and
start climbing the sweater up to Kathy's shoulder.  We even have a
picture of it (if only I had a decent scanner).  She even carried this
habit to her new playroom.  We have a daybed in it and Nibbles' only path
to the top of the daybed is to climb the afghan that hangs over the side
of it.  She even sometimes climbs up a loose weave flannel sheet that is
under the comforter on the top mattress and starts tunneling under the
comforter.  Watta climber.  Nails clipped or not, she's a pro.

    Also, I never thought she would have a favorite toy, but there is one
thing she loves.  It is a toy I stole from my brothers cats when I was
living with him.  He said they didn't use it so I took it.  It looks like
a dogs head, except it's green and it squeaks when you squeeze it.  It's
small enough that Nibbles can pick it up and carry it by getting a tooth
in the squeak hole.  Recently, she took it and hid it in the space
separating the daybed's mattress and buttress.  When we take it out of
there and squeak it, she'll run out of wherever she is, grab the toy and
make a mad dash for the buttress.  Effectively returning the toy to its
place of origin.  Sometimes, after a few tries, she'll look at us strange
when we move it again.  I guess she thinks we are crazy to go around
intentionally upsetting the balance of the universe.  Ahh, us stupid
humans, if only we knew better.

Regards,
Jim, Kathy and Nibbles (The Ferret Xtreme.  Bungee jumping is her next
great adventure.)