Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:30:30 EST
Some of you may remember me telling you about the ferret who was released
to the shelter, instead of being put to sleep.  He was almost 4 years old,
had been declawed and had a raging case of insulinoma.  Well - here is his
update!

Kodo is a lovely chocolate boy, with only 4 toes on his front feet.  The
vet techs and assistants fell in love with him at Pet Care while he was
there.  He had a bad seizure on Sunday, which we were able to bring him out
of, but I wanted the vet to check him out on Monday.  We did a BG on him,
and it was only 44.  There was an available surgery slot for him the next
day, and so I left Kodo behind.

Well, it turns out this was not a normal case of islet cell tumors (aka
insulinoma) but a neoplasia that was growing on his pancreas!  The growth
was removed, along with the parts of the pancreas it had grown into - but
there were no signs of malignancy or spreading!  The prognosis on this
little guy is great!  No medications, just monitoring to see that his BG
stays normal!

The surgery was $305.00 total - which IMO, is a bargain to know that this
shelter kid may find a new home and live a normal life!  Kodo is recovering
nicely, while I run around and cater to his needs!  (a little ferretone?
how 'bout some food?  can I turn your linens down?) LOL!!!!

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"