From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:21:00 -0700
>I am from Ontario and does anyone know if ferrets are illegal here? I don't
>know who to ask.
>   <snip>
>About how much do these ferret rescue folk charge for each ferret?

To my knowledge, no ferrets are not illegal at all in Ontario and one of the
best shelters is run out of Ontario as well.  Pegge Clarke is wonderful and
does so much for ferrets, I would strongly suggest you go through her if you
would like to adopt a ferret.  You can call the Ottawa Ferret Association
Answering machine at 613 - 258 - 6134.  I'm sorry I don't know what her
adoption fee is, but I imagine it to be about $75.00 - $100.00.  She
ususally has a few who need a home, but you may have to wait until after the
holidays.  I know we don't adopt ferrets out for Christmas, I imagine other
shelters feel the same way.

>Scott Pearce wrote
>>I have been told that this little guy is Austrailian and Canadian, so I am
>>not really sure. He only has one tattoo in his right ear (Any help on this
>>would be greatly appreciated).

The big ole Canadian ferrets have one of two types of tattoos in their ears.
they either have a green H in one ear (this means Hagen) and a black X or a
Y in the other.  The other one is usually just an X, no green H, whether
male or female, and is either black or dark blue.  Actually, it looks more
like a blob than anything else, but it really is supposed to be an X.  I
imagine this is to indicate that the ferret in question has been spayed or
neutered and descented, as they all are.  To my knowledge there have been no
problems getting ones with tattoos that are not done and being sold as done,
nor have we encountered any problems with incomplete descenting or
neutering.  Doesn't mean your ferret is Canadian, but it's always a
possibility.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to track down a pet store that has gone
out of business?  More than 5 years ago I bought my ferret BooBoo from there
and he is abslutely the most adorable and best looking sterling silver that
I have ever seen.  He must have been local because he wasn't fixed and I
would like to know how to find out who bred this little piece of perfection.
The pet store has been taken over by another chain, and I don't even know if
they are required to keep records that long anyway.  But I would sure like
to know where my doll came from.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE AND THEIR FUZZIES!

Sheena (and the latest additon to the ferret family, 11 week old Big Tunk,
who makes 7 and that's really it this time.  I mean it)
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >