From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:43:09 EST
Hey all !  Dooks to all fur-kids !!

First (and foremost) I wanted to thank all who responded to me about the
distemper post.  Thank you !  Thank you!  Thank you !  I'll admit I only
knew a little of the symptomology.  I greatly appreciate learning from
those willing to give of their knowledge.

Secondly - working with the petstore (PETCO) and the breeder (Triple F) we
have been able to work up a time line.

The kits were born 9/6.  Distemper boosters were given on 10/29.  The
maternal immunity would have been significantly reduced by that time.  The
kits were then shipped.  They arrived at PETCO and for some reason <much to
the dismay of the fert knowledable clerks> were placed on the sales floor.
They normally are kept isolated in the stock room.  The fert knowledgable
clerks were off and were not aware of this until they returned.

The kit who succombed to distemper was purchased on 11/2.  Since 2 weeks
had not passed since the booster, the immunity had not built up.  The
owners indicated they brought the kit to the park and let it run around.
It is unknown if the owners had the kit vaccinated again.  The kit
succombed around the 23rd having been ill prior to that.  The cause was
determined to be distemper.  It is my understanding that distemper is fatal
from 12 to 42 days after exposure.

Since there is no report of any other kit in the group dying of distemper,
it seems unlikely that the source of the virus was within the store
(handling by outsiders, infected animals, etc).  The general consensus is
that the kit became infected at the park.  Sound like a plausible
explaination ?

Regardless, Zeus seems well.  He is very active.  The only thing unusual
<for a fert?  NOTHING is unusual !!> is that he lays in his hammock, eyes
squinted, whining.  The moment I open the cage door his eyes fly open and
he bounds for the cage door.  I take great joy <eh?> in watching him run,
dook, and destroy the living room (no, none of the others play in the
living room.  They have their "Kids Room").  Naturally, I am continuing
with the quarantine period.

Warm Fuzzies All !!

Kevin B and the Way Kewl Critter Crew
Featuring
~~THE~~FANTASTIC~~FUZZY~~~FLURRY~~OF~~FIFTEEN~~
~Furrice~Simon~Lacey~Hershey~Sprite~Socks~Cuddles~Java~Rascal~Miss Priss~
Cinna~Racer~Muttley~Dookesbury~
INTRODUCING ~ZEUS~ <let me out!  Let Me Out!  LET ME OUT !!!!!!!!!>
Guest STAR - ~Fur-Angel Lady~
Neighborhood kids - Min-Pins Geordi , Jaida, and Spice
Missing our friends - Kimo the Sumo Cat (and Honorary Fert) and fellow
ferts ~Petey~, ~Nibbler~, ~Max~, ~Romeo~, ~Bandit~, and the other ~Romeo~
Saying "Hey!" to ~Pandora~, ~Noser~ and the rest of the Tennessee Brat
Pack !!