From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:31:29 -0500
===Garry Schindler asked about ferret merchandise...
Pam Grant of STAR*Ferrets maintains a large list of ferret clubs, vets,
CATALOGS, etc.  Several of the catalogs have shirts, keychains, figurines,
and so forth.  To get a copy, send the command SEND FERRET DATABASE to

===Bill Waters asked about building a ferret cage...
We've built four now, two full-size and two travel-size, two collapsible and
two not.  Pictures and instructions for the collapsible kind (which could
also be made non-folding) are available on the Ferret Equipment How-To Page,
hanging off of the Photo Gallery at
http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/gallery/gallery-howto.html

===Anon wrote about totalling a car because a ferret got under her foot...
Yow.  A lesson learned the hard way.  I'm very glad everyone is all right!

===Bethany R. Towns wrote:
> I would like a baby (under 8 weeks), female ferret under $150.00 if
> possible.
Please reconsider.  8 weeks is just too young; a really good breeder
probably won't sell ferrets that young.  Try for 10 or 11 weeks instead.

===Cheryl Black asked:
> I'm wondering if someone can tell me how to get your ferrets to roll
> over.  [...] What other tricks can you teach your ferrets?

Show the ferret a small treat, say 1/4 of a raisin.  Push the ferret onto
its side, then roll it the rest of the way, saying "roll over" over and over
again and moving your other hand (the one holding the treat) in a circle in
front of its nose.  Give the ferret the treat.  Repeat four or five times in
a row, two or three times a day, for a couple of days.  Then switch to
pushing the ferret only 3/4 of the way, and only give the treat if the roll
finishes in the same direction.  After a few days of that, only push
halfway, then only 1/4 of the way.  Finally, just give the ferret a little
nudge on the shoulder.  This is the point at which both our ferrets got
"stuck" for a while, but after about a week of rolling over when nudged they
finally caught on all the way.  Now we don't even need to say anything; they
respond to the hand motion very well.  (In fact, Rusty has been known to
roll over as a request to be picked up.) The whole thing took about two
weeks for Rusty, a month for Pixxel (who didn't want to be on her back and
resisted being pushed over at all at first).

"Sit up" is also easy to teach, even easier than "roll over" for some
ferrets.  Put a lickable treat (e.g., Ferretone) on your finger and hold it
in front of the ferret.  Once it's licking, pick your finger up slowly,
saying "Up" over and over again.  Take your finger away if the ferret grabs
your hand or leg for support.  (You start out using a lickable treat so the
ferret has to stay standing up, not just make a grab for the raisin and run
off.) Repeat a couple of times in a row, a couple of times a day, for a week
or two.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>