From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:02:53 -0700
>From:    Joyce Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Info needed on duration of vaccine effectiveness
>I recently got another ferret, and just realized that their shots are 4
>months apart.  I'd like to get them on the same schedule, and go to the
>vet twice (once for the distempers, then the rabies a week later), rather
>than 4 times.

Next time that one's shots are de and the other's are 4 months off.  Get
them done together.  Over-vaccinating is a problem (see the Fox book) but
not at 8 month intervals.

>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mating
>I was surprised that the breeders didn't respond to this one.  Ferret
>mating is NOT an enjoyable experience, that is unless their behavior has
>changed in the last 8 years.

Boys obviously "enjoy" it.  Females that are really "ready" do seem to as
well.  Define for your own minds what enjoy is to ferrets versus humans.

Sometimes it is "rough".  Sometimes its not.  We have hobs that are 'wine
her and dine her's.  We have those into what might seem some form of S&M.
We and some other breeders consider the less violent breeding a positive
trait and do consider it in breeding selection.

A reddening of the back of the neck in jills is expected.  True wounding
beyond minor lacerations and abrasions isn't too common.

>From:    zauberin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferret speak
>In the future, when posting about ferret illnesses, no matter how small
>or serious, can you PLEASE not do it in "ferret/baby writing"?
 [...]
>The ferret writing borders on annoying at that point.

I doubt we're the only one's but I don't read anything written in that
manner.  Anyone can write in whatever manner the moderator sees fit to
post, but to us its beyond "borders on".  Choose who you want to read your
posts and write to suit them.  We've heard folks say they don't read our
posts.  Thats fine.  This isn't a put down or flame.  Just a recommendation
on tuning your writing to your intended audience.

>From:    Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Con-Fuzzled
>[Moderator's note: I disagree with your description of the FML.  This is
>one of the most civilized lists I know, actually -- certainly for a list
>of this size anyhow.

This is by far the nastiest list we remain on out of dozens.  Ferrets seems
to be the only topic we're involved in that a list is forced into moderation
but still remains so mean.  The real meanness comes from a small minority
but of very vocal people.  Diane has only been on one list with more flames
and that was only from folks that signed on misunderstanding the topic.
Its not BIG, its a small bunch of noisy folks.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]