From:
Christine Spaulding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:30:11 +0000
Hi FML subscribers.  This is my first time listing to the FML.  I have
been owned by 3 ferrets for just over a year now.  Thanks Ferret Wise for
making my life more enjoyable and full of ferret fun.

I just took my littlest ferret to the Vet this Saturday because of a swollen
vulva and some hair loss.  Although the hair loss between her shoulders has
been there since spring.  I thought the hair loss was from my male always
chewing on her neck (who's in charge squabbles).  Then just this past
Wednesday I notice that her vulva was really swallon.  Sooo...off to the vet
we did go.  The vet came to the same conclusions that I did.  Either she has
an adrenal gland problem or she was improperally spayed.  We weren't able to
tell which.  The Vet suggested an exploritory surgery, which is scheduled
for this Friday.  I guess my question is whether or not this surgery is
really necessary.  She is not showing any other symptoms.  She is eating
good, drinking plenty of water and is very active and playful.  The only
symptoms are the swollen vulva and the thinning hair between her shoulders.
Does anyone have any ideas?  Also, I know these vets are kind of new to
ferret health care and they have told me that they have only done this
surgery a few times.  Could I just be a nervous mother or do you think I
have something to worry about?

I appreciate any help I can get and hope that all is well in your ferret
world.

Christine & the kids
Jesse (I'm the boss and don't you forget it)
Billy (Alright Mom, what did you do with my buffalo)
Sable (Can we go. PLEASE, PLEASE, lets go, lets go)