From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:39:14 -0500
I called Oregon and confirmed that state today.  (Thanks, Ilena, for sending
the committee info!!!!)  While I was doing that I also asked a question I've
asked a number of health departments recently: Have you had problems with
county departments NOT passing information down the line to local health
departments and others they are supposed to notify.  Of the state health
departments I asked EVERY SINGLE ONE said that this is a REGULAR problem of
long standing!!!!!!!!!!

So, how can YOU save ferrets?  Let the vets, physicians, emergency rooms,
and shelters around you know that the 1998 Compendium of Animal Rabies
Control recommends that ferrets be managed in EXACTLY the same way as dogs
and cats, with a 10 day quarantine.  You can locate people right here
through the FML by posting that you are looking for the people and clubs
involved in this in your state.  If you have little time you can write to
either the AFA or to Pam Troutman, STAR Ferrets, P.O.  Box 1714,
Springfield, VA 22151-0714 and include an SASE.  Give the size of the
document I think You might need 55 cents postage on it (though I doubt the
post office would object if you just put on two regular stamps (64 cents) to
save yourself time running to the post office <G>).

Remember, we already know about one ferret which almost died because locals
were unaware; how many have died needlessly near YOU in the weeks SINCE the
Compendium has come out or since YOUR state (if it is among the majority
accepting the Compendium so far) decided to follow the Compendium.  Take
some time and save a LOT of ferrets!

Sukie