From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:17:19 -0500
At 5:42 AM -0500 11/29/01, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>When they called Marshalls about this, I had to laugh, because Marshalls
>said that they should be kept on blankets with hammies.  How about that
>Marshalls to the rescue!  Ha.  Well anyway I wanted to share with you the
>trouble I had getting my store to change, but do have the store call
>Marshalls and ask for a recomendation.  That might help.

It sounds like they aren't Marshall's, though, and the store owners won't
say where they are from.  She can use the NJ specific tips in my other
letter, though, if there are actual health problems present, and even if
there are not she can still make a complaint and request a surprise
inspection.

Meanwhile, in your talks with your home office and DM or RM here are
some sites that may be useful for you (as well as for others).  Have
seen many needs for them again; must be a number of new folks on the
FML.  Oh, and this one has at least one change since the last version.

http://www.trifl.org/cedar.html
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
http://www.ferret.net/medical/
http://www.trifl.org/medical.html
http://home.att.net/~hhoefer/
http://www.lbah.com/Ferrets/insulinoma.htm
http://www.ferretcentral.org
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/adv-straight.html
http://www.napcc.aspca.org/
http://advancedhelp.org
http://www.ferret.org/index.htm
http://www.avecon.com/AveconADV.htm
http://www.hiproanimalhealth.com/catalog/usa/index.htm
http://www.graylab.ac.uk/omd/
http://www.peteducation.com/drugs_supplements.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/pharmacy_center.html
http://www.bradleyhills.com/
http://www.ferretdoctor.com
http://www.petinsurance.com/
http://www.doggon.com
http://www.vetheart.com/

James Fox's _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_ (both editions) implies
that there is thiaminase in raw eggs and this can cause a thiamine
deficiency in a section written by Doctors Fox and McLain.  I don't know
if the wording is just nebulous so that the route is entirely without
thiaminase, or if they made the same error in content twice in 9 years
(though i seriously doubt that), or if Bob goofed and there may even be
two contributors to thiamine deficiency in raw eggs.

Okay, any question worth having is worth studying so I pulled out _The
Cambridge History of Food_, a serious, 2,000+ page two-volume resource for
nutritional anthropologists and food historians.  These texts do not
mention thiaminase, so perhaps the Fox book could use some more clear
wording on that that portion in the future unless they know something Bob
or I don't (which is always possible).  The Cambridge texts do mention
that eggs are terrible sources for calcium.  For raw eggs the chicken egg
section mentions that avidin removes biotin from being an available
nutrient (not good), and that ovotransferrin in raw eggs chelates ions of
iron, making it unavailable nutritionally (also not good).  Furthermore,
while the salmonella risk *might* be lower for ferrets than for humans
salmonella can pose a risk for animal which is compromised without its
people knowing, and raw or under-cooked eggs are regularly linked to
salmonella cases.  That help?