From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:43:20 -0400
I think maybe Nancy is under a good bit of pressure right now for reasons
none of us know because i think (not sure) that this may be the same Nancy
who reacted badly to the FHL rules alert that folks get when they join --
which we often hear folks say thanks for and which no one else has ever
misunderstood.  Maybe she is under a lot of pressure.  I think she's in
the tri-state region and the area has been hit hard with many deaths in
WTC, and with many companies hurt enough that entire divisions are being
let go.  We have heard that the job loss part will happen to 20% of
Steve's company here (with merit and such not being considered but entire
divisions let go) and expect that we will soon have no income; his 20th
anniversary with the company is in just over a week and in a half year
more when he turns 50 he'd have been eligible for the medical insurance
part of retirement but isn't eligible for anything, yet... Thank goodness
for living modestly and saving... Any hopes for the general improvement
employment status of the research field appreciated; even a number of
"name" folks are in trouble right now.

Anyway, no one can walk in anyone else's shoes, so, please, don't be angry
with her, either...

Like what sounds like almost everyone else thought, i took it as the
moment being upsetting...