From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:16:07 +0300
Thank you, Kim, for your long and useful post.

Interesting idea to get out the marrow fr chicken spinal columns.
What's useful in marrow?

About the chicken necks -- chickens bought in stores have the necks
removed, but I am sure I can get plenty if I want them. When you say
that the bones boil down well, do you mean they are easy to remove or
that the boiling softens then up enough to pose no danger? What about
chicken feet -- they've also cut off the fowl in stores but available.

That's v interesting about toasting the eggshells to get phosphorous
bioavailability. But I have fought a losing battle re eggshells w the
people who actually prepare the food.

I was thinking of adding cat vitamins to the ferret food. Since a
ferret is not a cat, I am sure the match wdn't be perfect, but is
there any actual problem?

FYI, the best catfood I've been able to get here was probably Meow
Mix -- now I can't find any catfood at all.

Most commercial sellers wont send things into Ethiopia, not too many
friends have the energy to mail things on to me, and I don't want to
overburden a wonderful woman who's been an amazing exception. So I've
pretty much limited my requests fo the bone meal and Revolution. No
cuttlefish products here.

Yes, we include the skin and organs of the chickens we use. I was in
the city yesterday and bought chicken hearts and livers -- because I
assumed that the ferrets need more than what is available per chicken.

Re al the ingredients, I feed the ferts the same as I eat myself --
usually bought from stores.

Interesting idea to get at the marrow fr chicken spinal columns. What's
useful in marrow?

About the chicken necks -- chickens bought in stores have the necks
removed, but I am sure I can get plenty if I want them. When you say
that the bones boil down well, do you mean they are easy to remove or
that the boiling softens then up enough to pose no danger? What about
chicken feet -- they've also cut off the fowl in stores but available.

Regarding variety in meals -- good idea. I offered some chicken hearts
today, and one ferret was very happy. She ate most of two. The others
sniffed and rejected them, but I'll add hearts to the mix. Or perhaps
they didn't like the fact that the hearts were whole. I'll see what
happens when they get ground heart. I haven't tried out the livers yet.

Very cool abt unsalted butter. Maybe as a treat, assuming I wil be
covered w the chicken skin, feet and necks, once I find out the right
proportions. Livers are full of fats too, right?

Not much pork available here -- the main religions forbid it for
humans.

I'm not sure what the ferrets wd do with frozen pieces of food, but
will see what happens.

Many thanks for your info about ferret poop.

Sorry about the misnaming of the bone meal -- I'm sure I had the flour
in the recesses of my mind when I typed Gold Medal. The stuff I use is
named something like Solid Gold, and it has a good reputation.