From:
Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:01:24 -0400
As always-- Ferret Wis eis a very busy place-  we have numerous nippers ,
and aging ferrets.. but we have a happy ending or two---  it all depends on
how you look at things--

BandiTu-  arrived in January-- one of a group of six who werer displaced
due to a divorce.  She was 4 1/2 years old and bald fromthe shoulders
back-- obviously adrenal disease in progress.  In March she had surgery  a
left gland was removed, but there was skepticism she may bne a bi-lateral
candidate-- we watched closely at the shelter for signs of hair regrowth--
a few tufts around the base of the tail, then more hair loss on the chest.
This little girl with big dark eyes-- was a pitiful sight coatwise...
everyone would step backj upon visiting the shelter as we explained the
sypmtoms of adrenal disease.  BandiTu would walk up and put her tiny paws
on their pant legs looking to be picked up,  but know one wanted to hold a
bald ferret-  no one but her shelter MOm.

A coupole who had adopted a ferret from the shelter several years ago as a
companion to her male saw us last Fall-- their boy was showing signs of
adrenal disease- In October he received surgery-- a hot cancer of the left
gland-- was sent home with a 6-8 mnonth window.  He regrew his hair but was
lost in April to the cancer recurrence.  They were devastataed-- being the
loss of their first ferret-- and knowing how attached they were-- I feared
the phone would ring-- and the other ferrets would venture in. But no calls
came....

Then early in the week the phone rang late at night.  Linda  the Mom to the
lost adrenal boy asked if we still had the girl here-- ( gosh-- we have
lots of them which one did she mean-- I just placed two???)  which one? -
"the one I saw with no hair!", I was speechless-- you know she has most
likely gat an affected right gland -- she has only what time the greater
being allos?  "Yes, she needs a place to play-- we have four here-- and a
cat ( gosh she loves to play with cats)  when can she come home?"  Tears
filled my wearyv eyes as I said you come right now-- BandiTu is wasiting to
go home.

Nopw this is a happy ending-- one that shelter folks seldom get for their
"kids".  Small blessings are so wonderful!

On a more bittersweet note--
"Prince" FerretWise Scanlon one of our education team ferrets succumbed on
Monday to a seizure caused by aortic ivalve insufficiencies.  Prince was an
adrenal ferret who developed a heart condition prior to the onset of bi
lateral adrenal condition.  He was a sweet and loving 5 year old MF ferret.

You may remember his participation in the story "FerretWise Ferrets Go To
School" from a previous FML--  He was loved by every school child who had
the pleasure of his company-- we have drawings and posters to prove it!

BIG help me here!!
[Moderator's note: Umm... help you with what?  If you mean the issue number
of the go to school story, that was in FML 2356. BIG]

He will be greatly missed by shelter Mom and Dad and his hospice parents
Mary & Keith, and his surviving cage mates...  We are relieved only in
knowing he suffers no more pain.

And back to tending more shelter kids-- for that is what we do--  thanks
for your time, your support, and your LOVE of ferrets.

alicia

PLease visit our shelter page at:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html

and consider ojoining our FERRET FUN EVENT -- Sept 5th  FERRET WISE REUNION
- PIcnic and Fun A Thon - more info at:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/calendar.html