From:
Ethan Sicotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:35:35 -0400
Hullo, all.  I'm considering my first ferret -- still reading everything
in sight, and eyeballing my unsafe apartment -- and am looking for some
information; any help would be welcome.  (Please e-mail me, there's a
chance I'd miss it here...)

The big question is: my apartment is stuffed to the gills with books.
Books in shelves, in stacks, in boxes, books as furniture for other books,
are these in any danger?  Several people have told me it shouldn't be a
problem, but this is a *big* concern.

Secondly, I'm looking for information on responsible breeders/shelters in
Southern Maine, preferably the Greater Portland area (no car).

Lastly, I'd love to visit some ferret owners in the area to see the
furballs in action, and, hopefully, see a proofed home.  My one-on-one
contact with the critters is both limited and years in the past (baby-sat
one weekend, basically).

Thanks in advance...

As an aside: On Guinea Pigs: If I remember correctly, guinea pigs were
domesticated in the Andes as a food animal.  They're still used as such; I
think they're a major protein source in the mountainous areas.  They're
kept in the house -- under the bed, etcetera -- free to roam around, and
are fed table scraps.  Occasionally one gets grabbed and added to the
night's meal.

If that's not enough of a gross out, find a copy of Edward Bryant's short
short "Bean Bag Cats" which guinea pigs always remind me of.

 ::E.Sicotte
 ::
 ::Do the Go Zebra!