Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 1994 15:22:33 -0400
        The pet store near us just got in some kits, and so I went to visit
them (it isn't the best pet store, and we refuse to even buy food there, but I
knew they had just gotten the kits and decided to stop by).  I'm guessing
they're 6 weeks, but I really don't know.  Anyway, while I was there the
dominant kit (a very cute red-eyed white) vomited in one of the corners.  One
of my ferrets used to hack once in a while (I presume because of a hairball),
and this was not the same thing.  The kit then started to eat it (reminding me
of a puppy who gets overly excited, as compared to a sick animal - puppies
occaisonally lose their food, and then eat it again, usually when they get
really excited or start running a lot right after breakfast); the other kits
came over to help him.   I've never had a kit this small before, so I wasn't
sure if it was a kit thing, but I've always heard that vomiting was generally
pretty serious in ferrets.  Since its not my ferret (supposedly someone
had already bought him and was coming to get him today or tomorrow) I doubt i
could do anything (this is not the ideal kind of pet store owner), but does
anyone know what might be wrong?

Oh, and one other thing - with the heat and humidity here in Buffalo, I've been
filling containers with water, freezing them, and then wrapping them in
t-shirts and putting them near where my guys sleep.  It works great for Shadow
- she sleeps in a little home we made for her; I put it right underneat her
hammock, and since the home is made of thick wood and carpeting, it keeps the
cool in nicely.  But Fezzik prefers just to lie down on the floor in a very
small cubbyspace behind the washing machine (he can't get inside or under it,
and it doesn't move, so I don't mind him curling up behind it).  I tried
putting an ice thing back there, but he just moved away.  Any suggestions?  I
guess if he was really warm, he'd be near it, or go join Shadow in the home,
but...????  I can't *make* him stay near it, unless I were to put him in his
little travel cage and prevent him from going anywhere else.

-Rochelle