Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 10:35:29 -0400
        My fiancee has been suggesting for awhile now that I try using zeolite
litter rather than clay litter, and so I finally took his suggestion...  The
stuff is absolutely amazing, and I completely recommend it!  In addition to
being much more absorbant than clay litter, zeolite bonds to ammonia - this
means, it takes the ammonia out of the urine, and thus the litter box just
doesn't smell!   (We've had the same stuff in the box for a week now, and all we
have to do is scoop out the solid waste - even if you put your face right next
to the pan, you simply don't smell anything at all...)  Also, since there's no
urine smell to it, our guys have been using the box more consistently.  The
brand I've seen here is called "Snowlite" - I don't know if there are other
brands.  (People use the same stuff in aquariums for removing ammonia from the
water in emergencies, but my understanding is that they charge more for the
acquarium kind, even though its the same stuff).  This stuff is quite a bit more
expensive than clay litter, I admit, but its more than worth it - since its so
much more absorbant, and gets rid of the odor, you don't have to change it
nearly as often. (I've never tried the clumping litter, so I really can't
compare it to that, but I've never heard any bad things about this stuff,
whereas I've heard far too many about the clumping stuff).  I heartily recommend
it to everyone out there.

-Rochelle