From:
Ron Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 13:00:02 -0500
Hi Fellow FML'ers.  Here is what happened with Loki.

Friday morning when I went to work he was fine.

Friday night he didn't come out of the cage for play time.  When I got him
out of his tube sleeper, he cried loudly, and evacuated his bowels and
bladder.  Very runny and slimmy looking stool.  Scruffed him, very
dehydrated.  Call to E.R. took him in at 9:30 pm.  Initial exam, dehydrated
and felt a small mass in lower abdomin.  Probably stool.  Temp 101.0
degrees.  Lungs sounded very congested.  X-ray revealed no visible
obstructions.  Given Baytril inj. Lasix injection, and sub-Q fluids.  They
kept him over night.

7:00 Saturday morning.  Took him from the E.R. to my vet who is a ferret
guru.  Exam - no masses, one runny stool.  Now is when something neurologic
happened.  His body spazmed and went to the right side.  It has remained on
the right side.  If moved to the left side or center, he cries and it flips
back.  Stroke???  He is not able to walk.  My vet kept him and took him
home with him.  Prognosis is not good.  Diagnosis is some form of viral
enteritis.  He will eat and drink through a syringe, but can't get to food
or water on his own.  The vet said the best thing we can do is to try and
keep him alive through the enteritis, and then evaluate the effects of the
neurologic problem.  I am hoping and praying that it is only temporary and
caused by the illness.  X-rays show no head trauma, or spinal trauma.  So
that in itself gives me some hope.  Vet called Saturday night and nothing
had changed.  He will call me again today.

Has anyone ever experienced this?  Loki is only 3 months old.  Has anyone
ever noted an increase in illness in Albino's?  Do they have a genetic
characterist predisposing them to illness.

Please help with anything that you have gone through and anything you have
heard.

You may respond here or via e-mail, which ever you prefer.

Thanks in advance,
Ron & The Young Un's
Spaz, Rascal, Treble, & Loki.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/8662