From:
Marc Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:42:35 EST
Responding to Laura and Dr. Williams:

>>Around the same time as my previous experience, someone posted about a
>>method of giving subcutaneous fluids that was different than the syringe
>>method (I want to say it had something to do with a butterfly needle and
>>tubing?) that was easier for the ferrets to tolerate.  If the original
>>poster is still on list (or if anyone remembers what I'm talking
>>about) could they please email me with the particulars?

>I think there is a web site out there, as I recall.  A butterfly needle is
>a small caliber needle which you can hook to a hung bottle of fluids and
>let gravity flow do the trick.

When I had to give my Bandit sub-Q fluids, I used a butterfly needle.
However it was not attached to a hung bottle of fluids.  I was given a
bag of fluids and a large-guage syringe (about 1.5 inches in diameter and
about 9-12 inches in length).  The bag of fluid had a special "port" for
inserting the needle of the syringe (replaceable) so you could extract the
fluid.  I was also given a special adapter that consisted of a female end
that fit over the syringe male port followed by a length of thin tubing and
ending in another male end port.  You attached the butterfly needle to this
port.

So you would put the regular needle on the large-guage syringe to extract
the fluid from the bag.  Remove that needle.  Insert the tubing adapter
onto the syringe port.  Attach the butterfly needle to the other end of
the tubing adapter.  And you're ready to go!

Having the butterfly grips on the needle made inserting the needle in the
ferret SO MUCH EASIER!  I would scruff Bandit and slide the needle into
the scruffed part of his neck, just under the skin.

Does this sound like the right way to do it, Dr. Williams?  Hope I'm giving
out good info here ... and hope it helps, Laura!

Marc Wilson and the New Tres Amigos