From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:08:38 -0500
>From: "Mary McCarty - Houser" <[log in to unmask]>
>I use a Butterfly needle for subQs, but not by attaching it to the bag
>of fluids.
>
>I fill up a big syringe with fluids using a normal needle. I then put the
>butterfly tubing on the syringe. I scruff the ferret and stick them with
>the small butterfly needle. Then I hold them using one hand around the
>chest area and using my other hand inject the syringe of fluids into the
>ferret. It's quick and easy and from using other methods, the least
>distressful I've found (especially if you have to do this by yourself).
>
>Yes, the ferrets squirm a bit, but if you have a good grip it's not a
>problem.
>
>Do you see any problems with doing it this way, Dr. Williams?

Dear Mary -

Your method will work as well - probably better than the typical needle and
syringe for a squirmy ferret - they are less likely to move off the needle,
as the shorter needle moves with them.

All the best this hoiday season,
Bruce Williams