From:
Michelle Alverson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:15:21 -0800
Hello to all and heart felt sympathies to all whom's fuzzies have gone
to the bridge.  I am an every day reader but barely get a chance to post
due to crazy and exhausting work hours lately.

To Kathleen- bravo to you for knowing that the ferret was being mistreated
and trying to help.  Regarless of any situation, the head is the worst
place to hit a ferret!!  I tend to agree with MC that hitting them in any
way doesn't get you any further then a firm scruff and a harsh "no".

To Kat- Last year Norman did the same thing with urinating small bits
several times in a few minutes.  Then he begin going to the litter pan,
but not urinating.  It ended up that both his kidneys were just about
shot- a secondary problem to adrenal..... He now has one less of each
but is trucking right along <for the most part..>    Sampson also did
the same thing a few years ago when he was young, and after a urinalysis
we found him to just have a uti <urinary tract infection> which was cleared
up with some amoxi.

and to Denise- I cried as I read your post. I am so sorry about your
mother.  There are times when I just think of how I'll ever make it
through that day!!  Ironically my mother hates her granchildren- fears
them and misunderstands them is probably more likely.  I think it is
wonderful that you and your mother shared the same passions for these
little fuzzie wonders.  May time begin to slowely heal your pain!

Now a question.... When is surgery just too much??  Here is the case with
Norman... A little over a year ago- he had an adrenal (left) and kidney
removed <see above> It was undetermined if his second kidney would clear
up and work, but after a week of being marsupulized (sp?) his kidney did
kick in and the counts looked great.  Needless to say it was a long
surgery/recovery period.  Now- It seems that the one kidney just can't
filter all the garbage.  he is basically on anti-biotics forever.  We are
trying Claramox praying that it works because the next option is Baytril,
whic for those of you whom know, is hell to give..  Anyways- he also has an
enlarged pancreas- only helped by surgery... and poss.  signs (hair loss)
of adrenal.  For the time being- you would not know any of these things.
He hops, bounces, pounces, and war dances just as he always has.  But if
his quality of life does slip... I just can't decide if he's been through
enough or if I shoul consider surgery again..... Anyone out there with a
little one that's been through multiple surgeries?????

So much more going on here- Charlie has some undetermined alment.  He will
not eat kibble- but will drink down Duck Soup.  Blood work is great-nothing
in X-rays.  He's dringking a little water but not much.  Grinding teeth
badly.  He's on ulcer meds... but he just seems to be miserabl.  We suspect
a small foreign body- small enough that he does not vomit his food- but big
enough to bother him... Considering Exploratory MOnday if he's not feeling
any better.  P.S. He HATES Tagament!!

Dot our 3.5 year albino is showing the 1st poss.  signs of adrenal- lack of
energy..  we'll keep an eye on her and keep ya posted.  Houdini had adrenal
surgery last November and seems to have a reacourense..  Possibly having
surgery also this month.  We sent blood out for an adrenal panel...

Thanks so much to everyone for listening.  I know thta all of you out
there with multiple ferrets along with shelters/rescues are used to several
ferrets needing care at one time and can relate.  With 11, I've pretty much
accepted that it is more the norm then the exception- yet alone- in the
dark- it still tares me up.....

Thanks again and Dooks to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_Michelle and her Enthusiastic Eleven