From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:28:07 -0400
Hi FFF's,

Since today in NH was official Ferret Appreciation Day (the sad irony of
this given the fact that Kodo lost today is almost too much to bear), I
brought one of my ferrets, Brownie, to work as an "ambassaferret".  We
really aren't supposed to have animals in the building but no one really
cares.  (I bring my baby cockatiels in everyday when I'm handfeeding them; I
just don't brag about it.)

I am continually surprised at how little people know about ferrets.  I
don't know why I still am after all this time.  For example, some comments
today:

Person 1: "What is THAT?"

and

Person 2: "I didn't know there was a ferret shelter."
Me: "Well, actually there are probably about 100 of them across the nation."
Person 2: "Really?  Wow."

and

Person 3: "So, when they are in the wild, do they...." This one from the
chair of our dept.  He did know however that ferrets are sometimes used in
training medical personnel in how to intubate babies, since their
respiratory structures are very similar to ours, and he is a respiratory
researcher.  He was very interested in Brownie and asked a lot of questions
and said he was a "beautiful little animal" AND he made a pledge for the
Ferret Wise walkathon which is coming up next weekend.  Our secretary said
that that was a good sign since he doesn't often do that sort of thing.

I felt like I was giving a lecture as I explained to people that they are
domesticated like cats and dogs, are related to other mustelids but don't
exist in the wild, can't survive in the wild, are social, need interaction
like a dog, are more work than cats, don't bite viciously unless mistreated,
etc, etc.  I found it interesting that people remark on their teeth as
looking like they could do damage, but wouldn't even think of doing the same
when regarding a cat or dog.

Our dept secretary thought he was the cutest thing, and let him crawl into
her tote bag and nose around her desk and in her wastebasket and she didn't
even get upset when he pooped on the rug. :)  She said her boys (around
10-12 years old) have wanted one but they have a dog and she didn't think
the dog would appreciate it.

As I was talking to one person, and he asked, "Do they bite?", Brownie
started licking my arm.  I said, "No, but they do give kisses." :)

I guess it was a successful day in the ferret relations dept at work.  :)
Every little bit helps!

Karen
Today the wind had a milder range,
And seems to hint of a secret change,