From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:36:22 -0400
>From:    Steve Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
>The only potential problem was the agricultural stations on the state
>borders.  How thorough are these stations?  If I throw some blankets over
>their car cage, is that enough?  Are there any areas in Southern CA that
>don't have these checkpoint stations?

My sense is that they are very thorough.  I'm sure others can tell you
better, but I have a story that may illustrate.  A friend of mine was moving
to CA last Nov and took her lovebird with her.  She gave her Quaker parakeet
to me however, because Quakers are illegal in CA.  She had thought of trying
to smuggle Ivy in, but decided not to take the chance.  Anyway, she told me
that when she reached the border, Milo's (the lovebird) travel cage was in
the back seat and covered with a light sheet.  Her back seat was actually
folded down, so that there was a continuous space from the trunk through to
the car interior.  She had of course a lot of stuff piled up in her car,
including Milo's regular cage which she had taken apart and folded flat to
save space.  Anyway, they are at the border, and the guy looks in the back
and says "What's under the sheet?" and she said "it's my lovebird." She said
he just "looked" at her and she said "I suppose you're going to make me take
the cover off and wake her up so you can check" which he did, so he could
make sure it was indeed a lovebird and not some illegal animal.  Milo btw
cussed him out in lovebird for getting her up from her nap.  :)

THEN, he made her get out of the car, and go around to the back and open the
trunk.  He'd seen the folded down cage which was packed in an upright
position and thought it was one of those barriers you put in your car to
contain animals, and he thought that she must therefore have an animal in
the TRUNK!  Of course she didn't, but she had to unpack some of her stuff
and then repack it before she could go on.  She called me and told me this
and said she was really glad that she hadn't tried to smuggle the Quaker in,
because he surely would have found Ivy.

As for ways around the checkpoints, I know there are some, but not any other
details, but I'm sure someone else can help you there.

Karen
Today the wind had a milder range,
And seems to hint of a secret change,
For the gossipy breezes bring to me