From:
Carol Vee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:16:45 EST
Several months ago the FML had the discussion whether to cage your ferret
or not.  At the time I did not cage mine during the day or night.  I do
now!  Because I have two teenagers that were always going in and out of my
house I could not sleep at night worrying about my animals.  I also have a
husband that smokes, only outside, and he too would go in and out.  I cage
all four of mine now between the hours of 10:30pm -- 6:30am.  I can finally
sleep at night.  Bailey, Elle and Oscar don't seem to mind at all.  The
cage is four levels, almost six feet tall.  However, Lilly hates it.  She
crawls into a hammock and does not leave the floor you put her on.  I have
to make accommodations for her to go to the bathroom.

Another issue that is being discussed is whether to house your ferret
outside.  When I first saw Elle and Bailey outside in a cage I stopped to
look at them with the hope of making friends with another ferret owner.  If
Bailey and Elle's cage had been sheltered from the elements I would have
never pursued taking them from their owner.  If the cage has proper cover,
an area that they can crawl into with blankets to keep them warm, in the
shade when it is hot, I see no reason to call that abuse.  Mind you, I am
talking about a responsible owner that would also clean the cage.  From
what I read from the girl that her father would not let the ferret inside,
they had proper shelter.

I was really happy to see the shelter on the Ferret Shelter list that said
she does not adopt out during the Christmas season unless the prospected
owners are thoroughly checked out.  This idea would really help out the
unwanted pet in January, or the death of a ferret because the buyer was not
educated about taking care of a ferret.

On a lighter side; Dear Easy Off, be patient darling, grandmas starting to
come around.  I have discussed the possibility of your visit with Oscar, he
has yet to discuss it with Lilly and Elle.  That Lilly is a jealous little
red eyed girl.  Oscar will have to do some sweet talking to get her to come
around!

God Bless to all the sick fuzzies and a special prayer to the families that
are learning to live without their loved one.

Carol Voivedich
Oscar (I dream of the day we meet Easy Off)
Bailey (Any good looking gals out there for me mommie?)
Elle (I know a secret that will make Lilly sooooooo mad!)
Lilly (I am queen of the Voivedich house, just try me, I can tell you some
stories)