From:
"Jennifer D. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:19:48 -0400
>I am sorry to say yes it is, genetically speaking anyways.  Usually with
>ferrets (and humans too?) deafness is caused by a part of a gene that is
>missing (ex: Waardensburg?) or altered.  so therefore, if a genetic error
>causes deafness, or for that matter a disability or handicap, isn't it
>acceptable to say that the result of that genetic error causes a defect
>on the body's affected part?

Most deafness in humans is not genetic, though some is.  Waardenburg
Syndrome exists in humans but is rare (I've never met anyone with it--have
you?).  It comes in a few different forms and, believe it or not, causes
the same physical traits it does in ferrets--white streak in the hair,
lighter-colored eyes, deafness, wide-set eyes.  Deafness in humans is
*not* rare (I believe there are well over 10,000 deaf people in the US
right now--wish I could remember the actual number), and is often caused
by malformation of some part of the ear, during pregnancy or shortly after,
or by illness or injury.  There are genetic forms but they're much, much
less common.  Most children of deaf parents are hearing.

Since most deaf ferrets have WS rather than other forms of deafness (as far
as we know), and WS is a single autosomal dominant gene that causes the
whole list of traits, it's *probably* impossible to breed for ferrets with
blazes but that can hear.  I want to emphasize that, at this point, not
enough ferret-specific research has been done to know for certain the true
inheritance pattern of WS and whether there are any companion genes that
control to what extent it's expressed.  It may, theoretically, be possible
to control.

I do not approve of breeding ferrets with WS--which means ferrets that can
hear as well as those that can't--but at the same time I refuse to outright
condemn someone for doing so.  The biggest problem is that WS is now very
widespread in the ferret gene pool, and a ferret can have it and show no or
few signs, but still pass it on to offspring.  I also see a lot of abused
and neglected deaf ferrets whose owners simply don't understand how to
treat a deaf animal.

But: if a breeder chooses to breed ferrets with WS--and despite the furor
going on here, most (not all!) do, although they breed hearing rather than
deaf ferrets--I would not necessarily condemn them.  I would rather see
ferrets raised in a loving, healthy environment, well socialized and placed
in good homes, than ferrets raised too quickly, not well socialized, and
sold indiscriminately.  So--although I would prefer that ferrets with WS
not be bred except possibly as part of a true research project to learn to
understand the gene--I don't believe that breeding deaf ferrets makes a
person "bad."

Despite the horrors it can cause, deafness is not as much of a problem as
lymphoma, adrenal disease, insulinoma, lymphosarcoma, and the half-dozen
other common and often fatal ferret diseases, at least some of which are
probably congenital.  Good breeders do not breed a line that has had, for
example, a lot of heart problems or unexpected and unexplained early
deaths.  Yet some breeders continue to breed ferrets that come from a
bloodline with a history of what seems to be a congenital illness.  If
we're going to jump all over anyone for irresponsible breeding practices,
I would prefer to have it be those who breed for pretty ferrets without
regard for their physical well-being.  I cannot condemn (or condone)
producing deaf but otherwise healthy and well-socialized ferrets; I can
condemn producing ferrets without important body parts, with malformed
organs, with congenital health problems that lead to early death.

I hope I've made my (rather middle-of-the-road) stance clear.  Again, I
would not breed an animal with WS, but I also believe there are many,
many worse problems out there.

Jen and the Crazy Business