From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:10:04 -0400
Insulinoma is usually best treated with surgery by a ferret knowledgeable
vet.  Some need to lose a section of pancreas rather than just having the
tumors out.  When meds are used Prednisone (with dose being increased by
vet as needed), Proglycem, or both are used.  Giving sugars is usually
not done until late in the illness when the meds don't hold.  Some of
our's begin on just Pred then Proglycem is added and then we go on from
there; others begin with both Pred and Proglycem.  The Pred sometimes is
more effective if the same amount is given two or three times a day
rather than once a day.  There is not a species upper limit of Pred for
ferrets; the max is dependent on what the individual will tolerate.  I'm
not a vet; just someone who has had ferrets in the family for 20 years.
-----

I have had a slew of requests for this to be repeated over the last few
days.  Some of the below lists are about as behind the times as my health
links site ( http://geocities.com/sukieslist ).  For instance, most have
not yet put that vet, Joe Martins has moved to Bellemead Animal Hospital
here in New Jersey (908-874-4447, fax 4144) at 872 Rte. 206, Hillsbourgh,
NJ 08844 which has exotics services, emergency services, and even
sometimes house calls when needed.  Anyway, even needing to catch up
these will have useful information, just as my site still has links to a
great deal of info on health problems, so here are ways to find ferret
knowledgeable vets:

http://www.quincyweb.net/quincy/vet.html
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
http://www.thepetproject.com/starferrets.html
http://www.ferretcentral.org
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/FerretVets.htm

Do NOT forget to look at the vets who are used by shelters.  You can do
this by getting a copy of the SOS list if you don't have it already.

*****Bill, what is the command for that?  "SEND SHELTER LISTS" ? to
the listserv addy above?*****      [YUP]
I actually forgot earlier today about that option for finding vets...

For California try these:
http://www.ferretnews.org/clinic.html
http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/medical.html

PLEASE, SAVE this info!