From:
Holly DiMeglio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 21:11:23 -0800
This is a late reply, as I am behind on the FML (only 4 more days and I'm
done with school for the semester!!!)  Someone asked about a deaf ferret
and the possibility of gaining hearing.  My deaf DEW has not gained
hearing to speak of, but I have noticed that there are certain sounds that
he does seem to hear.  I don't know what those sounds are specifically,
but it must be something at just the right pitch & frequency.  When it
happens he comes to a complete stop, looks very startled, then very alert
and he looks all around trying to figure out where that noise came from.
It is an unmistakable reaction that I've witnessed about 20 times.  I
wish I knew what it was he can hear - but I'm clueless.  I should probably
try a dog whistle or something, because I swear it's something that I'm
not hearing when it happens.

Holly