From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 1995 08:05:01 -0500
Erik,

The breeder who sold you the ferret should have given you this information.
If you haven't done so, please make an appointment with a veterinarian for
a new-kit checkup, and he/she will advise you.  Most likely, I am assuming
- no - I won't assume anything.......If the breeder did not vaccinate this
kit before selling it to you, then you can start your distemper vaccination
series now.  Fervac-D or Fromm-D are the brand names of the vaccine to use.
Continue every 3 or 4 weeks until the kit is 14 weeks old, and then an
annual booster.  Once the kit is over 12 weeks, you can give a rabies
vaccine -IMRAB 3 - and that also is an annual vaccine.

However, it is a good idea to space your rabies and distemper vaccines.  There
has been some speculation about whether giving the 2 vaccines together may
cause a bad reaction - since no one is quite sure yet, it is safer to be on
the side of caution and give the 2 vaccines 2 weeks apart.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY