From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 1995 07:31:38 -0500
The Anonymous Poster who just purchased a Marshall Farm Ferret:

I LOVE MFF!  They are the just about the best in the world - in my opinion
anyway.  But a 5 week old ferret is too young to be separated from it's
mom no matter where it comes from.

From much of the info that I've read, in the wild, polecats, mink, etc,
bring fresh killed animals to their den and the babies start sucking on
the meat at around 3 - 3 1/2 wks of age.  But they don't eat it - they
still rely on Mom for real food (ie, milk).  I have found this to be true
in my own experiences as well.  Babies show an interest in food at around
3 weeks of age.  HOWEVER, if baby ferrets are weaned too early, they can
develop prolapsed rectums.

It seems to be the practice to want to wean baby animals as quickly as
possible - whether it's puppies, kittens, ferrets, whatever.  In fact, Judi
Bell, DVM, staff vet at MF, told me that babies shouldn't be weaned until
they are about 5 weeks old.  Ferret milk has an incredibly high fat content,
which as we all know, is essential for a healthy ferret.  So what's the
rush???  You will have your ferret for it's entire life (hopefully) - let's
let them stay with Mom until they are at least 8 wks old - preferably 9 or
10.  Baby ferret tummies aren't ready to digest "real" food at that early
age and weaning too early can account for some medical problems.

Personality isn't the issue - heath and development are.  I'm all the way
with Carla on this one.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY