From:
Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 22:14:45 +0000
To everyone,
This may not be new to some of you but it sure was a new one to me.  My
son's ferret got very ill and finally a stool specimen revealed that she had
flukes.  They are parasites that set up camp in the intestine of ferrets,
and they are gotten from exposure to SNAILS of all things.  Now, how did a
ferret get in contact with snails?  The way they think is the only way
possible is from a potted plant that had been outside on their patio, and
they brought it in.  The ferret got into it and was digging in it.  Within
2-3 weeks (not sure on the time frame) the ferret started with these
symptoms: vomitting,(not often ), runny and funny -looking stools, lethargy,
lack of appetite, and weight loss (of course) and pain (when their other
ferret wanted to play , she cried) All of this came about quickly and they
took her to their vet more than once.  but he was a with-it vet and when she
pooped at the time he took her temp., he examined the stool and discovered
the "flukes" .  The treatment included injections 5 in alll I think (mom is
a nurse so no problem there), and also another antibiotic for possible
bacterial infections, supplemental feedings.  She started responding rather
quickly and full recovery and weight gain is expected.  MORAL; Of course,
watch those potted plants!  Also, don't be afraid to ask the vet to examine
stool spec.'s they can learn a lot from them.  Coccidiosis for example.  One
more note , they said her stools were tarry and dark, but they did not
contain blood on anyalisis.

Add it to your file and pass the word to others.  We all want all fuzzies to
benefit from our experiences.

Janice and the 7 little dwarfs in the land of Oz.