From:
Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 09:09:01 +0000
To all people who have ferrets with insulinoma:
SOME Brewer's yeast products DO NOT CONTAIN CHROMIUM!  I this is significant
information since ( probably) everyone agrees that it is an important
ingredient in the diet of ferrets who have been diagnosed with insulinoma.
I had just assumed that my Brewer's yeast did have chromium since I had been
told to include Brewer's yeast in the recipe for my ferret who has
insulinoma.  I bought my brewer's yeast at GNC, which is a well-known and
very reputible business that sells natural food supplements.  The label did
NOT list chromium as one of their ingredients.  I called the store where I
purchased it and she thought it did contain chromium naturally HOWEVER , I
told her that I must know for sure and the amt. of chromium if it indeed
does contain it.  She gave me a toll free number for GNC (which is
1-888-462-2548), I spoke to Darla who was extremely helpful.  She did not
have an answer but offered to call the GNC lab and 2 days later returned
this answer: There is NO traceable amounts of either chromium or amino acids
(don't know why she included that ) in their Brewer's yeast .  (that is
obviously why it is not listed on the label of the product ingred. list!)
Please everyone, check your brewer's yeast label to see if it contains
chromium and if not, you will need to get a brand that does.  TLE told me
that her brand did list chromium and she bought it at Hansen's.  There are
no Hansen's stores in my are therefore, I plan to buy chromium (cleated) and
add to the recipe I use.  I want to thank the one respondant who E-mailed me
again with her imput.  She did not believe brewer's yeast contained
chromium.  She also gave me a great recipe and told me how to and how much
chromium to add to my recipe.  She said this: This is my recipe,8 oz. can
Iams kitten, 2.5 oz.  turk baby food.  8 oz. Sustical, 1-2 cup ground
Totally Ferret, 1 200 mcg. chromium tablet, 1-2 tsp ferretone, 1-2inches
Nutrical.  Now she also said that you use EITHER 1\4th of 10mg cleated
chromium tablet OR one 200 mcg chromium tablet.  Make sure the dosage is
correct by knowing if you have cleated or non-cleated chromium.  The tablet,
you understand is to be added to the whole recipe.  You can use your own
recipe and I plan to keep using brewer's yeast that I have and adding
chromium, ( I also put in a little bit more ferretone in the recipe, but
that is up to everyone else to decide).  Spread the word about chromium,
insulinoma, and brewer's yeast.  There may be a lot of people who were
mistaken about the product they use.  Thank you again R.H. , and GNC for
your help.

From Janice and the 7 little dwarfs in Kansas.