From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 16:21:24 CST
Rochelle,

        Again because I've not seen much here from Dr. Williams lately and I
know how anxious I always am to see replies to my messages, I thought I'd offer
some advise here.

        We call `em `ferret burritos' (also `cat burritos' and `bird burritos')
here, but same difference.  They do actually *sell* cat bags that zip up with
only the head sticking out, but these are too big for most ferrets and besides
a towel does the trick with the same principle at no extra cost.  Hold ferret
however is easiest to accomplish this.  Can just place ferret on towel on table
or floor.  Towel must be big enough to encompass whole ferret but not so big as
to be cumbersome for you to hold and make your job more difficult.  Wrap/roll
ferret up in towel taking special care that part around the neck is snug enough
to keep front feet from poking out, also keeping whole thing snug enough that
movement is restricted. No need for it to be uncomfortable tight.  Voila, you
have one ferret burrito, ready to tuck under arm for giving oral medication,
and anything else that might need done from the neck up.  Again, this also
works for cats and birds, though cats often need two extra hands.

Laura

Laura L'Heureux
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96