From:
meagan quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 11:34:10 PDT
Hi everyone!

First off, Dale, I had to laugh at your story of coming home with an
"extra" ferret.  Four Pink noses!  The PFRA did a great job at roping me
into wanting one of their adoptions...esp.  Mary M and Kym B!

They are so caring for their fuzzies and then to hear Kym describe a little
girl that sounded so hyper and so adorable (I don't remember her name but
Kym affectionately called her "crackbaby")  I wanted her so bad and I
didn't even get to see her!  It is a good thing for Kym didn't bring her
to the show in NJ...b/c I wanted her and my housemate would've flipped! :)

The PFRA makes me wanna move to PA just so I can be part of the meetings and
all the fun stuff they do! This NYer is lonely for a ferret club of her own!
~~~~~~~~~~

On a different note, I happend to go to the MF web site and was trying to
find out info on the recent rumors that petstores are telling people that
they aren't getting any more kits b/c of an ECE outbreak within MF
facilities.

I wrote to the web site and was told MF is concerned iwth all diseases
pertaining to ferrets and their wellbeing.  I also asked about the extra
tattoo on the paw (i thought this was more painful than the ear tattoo) I
was told the it is to determine the surgeon that did the
spay/neuter/descent.  I thought that was pretty interesting.

I wrote back restating the question b/c i think she misinterpretted it.  I
asked her of the age of the kits.  How to deal with the horrible prolapsed
rectums they are having b/c of the hard food at a young age and if there
was actually a problem with ECE in the MF kits.  I also asked her about
how the rate of diseases in MF kits compared to most.  (i was thinking of
adrenal or the so called "wussy" ferrets they produce)  This is the response
I got:

Dear Meagan,
I am sorry that I misunderstood your question in regards to ECE.  Although
we hear of outbreaks of ECE all over the country, we are not experiencing
any problems with ECE at our facility.  The reason that ferrets are not
being shipped to pet stores at this time is because we have encountered an
extremely high demand for ferrets coming off the Easter Holiday.

The demand was much greater than in years past.  That along with the fact
that this is the normal low production time of year for ferrets.  It has
nothing to do with ECE or any type of sickness.  What I was saying in my
prior letter is that we as the largest producer of ferrets have decided to
take a lead role in educating the consumer, pet stores, veternarians of
this virus by offering information in regards to the virus.  We are just
as concerned about this virus in ferrets and we are hoping that with
treatments and information available we can help to save ferrets from this
virus.

In regards to all viruses and diseases and being more in Marshall Ferrets
than in other ferrets.  Our ferrets are no more prone to these diseases
and viruses than any other ferrets.  What happens sometimes is that people
don't keep in mind that we are the largest breeder of ferrets, so when our
number appears higher it is because we have so many more ferrets out there.
Or if a vet says he is seeing a lot of Marshall Ferrets for a certain
illness it is not because we have more problems it is because we have so
many more ferrets.  If you were to look at a ratio to ratio situation we
have a very low health concern.  We pride ourselves on our ferrets being
very healthy and having friendly dispositions.  It is our main concern here
at Marshalls.  All ferrets are seven weeks old when they leave here.  This
has always been the age that the baby ferrets have left here.  A switch in
food can cause them to have added stress and sometimes prolapsed rectums
occur.  Normally, 95% of the time, this condition can be reversed by
getting a lot of moisture back in the diet.  We always recommend that the
Marshall Premium Diet by wet down with water to make an oatmeal soupy
consistency.  This usually will add enough moisture in the diet to correct
the problem.  It is important that the pet stores advise us of any concerns
they may have in regards to their ferret shipments.  In addition, we
appreciate the concern you exhibit for our Marshall Ferrets.  Please feel
free to offer any suggestions in the future.

Thank you again for writing.
Best regards,
Mary @ Marshall Pet Product
Customer Service Dept.
www.marshallpet.com
~~~~~~

I was happy with the fact that I only wrote this letter to them BEFORE noon
today (5/17) and got the response the same day around 1:30.  Of course she
won't say anything bad.

I am not trying to start a MF debate.  BUT i am letting all htose know that
according to Mary of Marshall Pets there is no ECE outbreak with MF kits.
If they have gotten it or are carriers it is supposed to be from somewhere
else.

I don't know what else I can say to her.  She says they are 7weeks old.  I
am sure many of the ferrets are that old, but I also think that a litter or
two here and there sneak by and are younger.  I also believe that 7 weeks
is too young to take them away.  This is their policy.  The most I can do
is not support it.

I am attempting to get my pet store to switch to a different breeder.  Path
Valler or Triple F

I do not want to start a war online, please let me know the pros and cons
of Triple F and Path Valley.  I will post a summary of the info I have
found later in the week.  I heard that one of them doesn't ship till 9
weeks.

I hope this helps someone out there.
Feel free to go to the website and email them your htoughts and feelings on
their services...

meg...