From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:33:50 CST6CDT
ECE - Our hardest hit were between 2-4 years of age.  Some shelters may be
better equipped to deal with ECE than the average owner.  When the ferrets
get to the point that they feel so rotten they just don't want to go on, we
know to push on and give them the will to live.  Others may not.  I try to
use the most non-invasive routes.  I do not sub-q but orally rehydrate.  Yes
they put up a fight but in my view it is the best for those in my care.
There are, of course, times when sub-q hydration is necessary and at those
times it should be used.  We were hit on March 5 and we still experience the
occasional set back.  We plan to divert ferrets as long as possible but will
not let one little life slip through.  We are blessed with foster homes
(thanks Lynda, Joy, & Kimberly) to take our incoming until we have been
quarantined 6-9 months.  It is not only the ferrets that have suffered but I
have too, both emotionally and physically.  I no longer have the stamina I
had before and I am very forgetful of little things.  I have no interest in
anything but the ferrets (wait, maybe that is a good thing) and I find
myself exhibiting nervous energy all too frequently.  (sigh)

Adrenal Surgeries - I'm taking 2 in Tuesday for surgery.  Please keep
Gizzie and Ferry (or maybe Clyde II) in your thoughts and prayers.

Hugs to all. tle (aka Sprite)