From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:06:52 CST6CDT
Biting and mouthing are normal behaviors for baby ferrets (kits), just as
they are for kittens and puppies.  To a curious playful ferret their world
is full of new and exciting things to be tested or tasted... chomp!

Play fighting with litter mates and other animals is an important learning
behavior.  It develops physical skills, coordination and reflexes.  Kits use
these new skills on us because they view us as playmates.  Ferret skin is
tough and we are soft so inevitably we sometimes get "hurt".  This is not
done intentionally by any means.  Because ferrets do not know that we are
"soft" they must be gently taught not to bite hard.  Remember that biting
and mouthing is their normal play behavior.  When they play with each other
often times they grab and roll and sometimes they grab and shake.  Sound
familiar?

Sometimes their play attacks may frighten people, but to ferrets this is
only a joyful game.  So remember when you are walking down the hall and this
whirling warm fuzzy critter attaches itself to the back of your knee then
drops down, that this is only an invitation to play.  And when you start
hopping and squealing and they begin to dance, this is a dance of joy that
you are "playing" with them.  :-)

Hugs to all.  tle