From:
Sara Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:38:51 -0700
Descenting only prevents the ferret from "poofing." It is a potent smell
that is released from their anal glands, but it dissipates in minutes.  I
guess you could classify it as a ferret "fart." There is really no reason
why you should have your vet descent him.  Personally, I think that it
is not necessary.  None of mine are descented.  It in no way helps to
make your ferret smell better, which is what alot of people think :).
Furthermore, there are theories that by descenting them it takes away
from their communication.  This is how they identify each other and
communicate when they are irritated (among hissing, etc.).  In the
wild, they also use this as a defense mechanism.  However, I think that
sometimes mine do it just as a release!

Sara Hamilton
Leizel's Weasels
www.leizelsweasels.com