From:
Dave Garvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 20:29:56 -0400
Howdy:

A quick reply to the recent query below.

>From: Holly Park Library <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: odor product mentioned in #780
>Several years ago I purchased a pet-store product whose name I do
>not recall. It was a liquid meant to be placed in ferrets' drinking
>water to reduce odor. I remember that I read the label and the active
>ingredient was chlorophyll. I may have over-reacted (?) because I
>decided my ferret didn't need to be drinking chlorophyll even if the
>label said it was harmless. So I threw it away. Now I, too, would like
>to know more about this. Thanx!

--Chlorophyll should not pose a risk to your ferret.  It is simply a
molecule that plants use to absorb radiant energy (sunlight) and start the
process of converting this energy into sugars.  It is the "green" in
plants.  However, if you were confusing this word with chloroform, then it
is a different matter.  Chloform is a hazardous substance that should not
be ingested in any quantity.
I would think it unlikely that simply adding chlorophyll to an animal's
diet will reduce its odor.  Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

Ciao - DAVE and "the girls"