From:
Sandra King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:24:14 EST
This is a question primarily for Dr. Williams--

I took in a bald male ferret of unknown age and circumstances Saturday.
Monday he had his adrenalectomy and found a hydrnephrotic left kidney.  The
adrenal tumor was on the left and not very large, was not compromising a
ureter physically.  In the books that I have, it says that the only known
reason for a hydronephrotic kidney in a ferret is due to ligation of the
ureter during an OVH.  Since this is a male ferret, and has never been
spayed, what are some other causes of this problem?  Apparently the other
kidney is compensating pretty good as his blood work came back in normal
parameters.  He has enlarged neck lymph nodes, am waiting to see if they go
down now that his adrenal is out.  He also shows ataxia in the hind limbs
and defecates wherever he is and whatever he is doing.  I do not think he
is hypoglycemic--been there plenty of times, but could be wrong.  I am
hoping the defecation bit is due to lack of potty manners, not something
worse.

Appreciatively,
Sandy