From:
Sandra King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 02:21:29 EST
I have a question regarding doing a snap test for a heartworm check in a
ferret--if a ferret can harbor only one or two adult worms, what if they
happen to be male worms?  I understand that a snap test only indicates if
an adult female is the culprit; apparently it detects the hormones put out
by a female?  Was reading an article in a vet magazine tonight regarding
detecting heartworms in cats, and the article said that a lot of cats only
harbor male worms (for whatever reason), that the snap test is designed for
dogs, and even if the cat does have a significant load, the snap test may
not pick the presence up.  They recommend ultrasound.  Would this be the
prudent choice for detection in ferrets, rather than using the possibly
useless (in ferrets--works great in dogs) snap test?