From:
Nadine Eriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:46:06 -0400
>From:    Carolyn Kingeter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: About shipping ferrets
>In my opinion, FERRETS SHOULD NOT BE SHIPPED!!!! Can you imagine the
>circumstances they have to endure?  There are enough ferrets locally to
>adopt without going out of the country or even out of the state, (unless
>you drive and get them your self).

Hello,

I agree that shipping ferrets might sound like something that shouldn't be
done, however, in many cases that is the only solution.

My own experience with shipping ferrets is that it is not a problem as long
as long as it's done in the correct fashion.

Things to check before shipping ferrets:

Is the pet carrier airline approved?  If you are shipping more than a couple
of ferrets, a wodden shipping crate is to prefer.  The airlines have
information what they should look like.  A wooden crate that meets IATA reg.
No. 79 is good for ferret babies.

Does the ferrets have access to food and water?  A little container with
ferret food that has been soaked in water is good since the ferrets get both
water and food at the same time.  It doesn't drip like a waterbottle, and it
stays in the container.  Remember to place it in such way that water can be
added from the outside.

Make sure to put some aspen shavings in the bottom of the crate to ensure
that the ferrets stay dry.  A towel will work for shorter distances, but if
it's a long flight aspen shavings are excellent since it will absorbe the
urine and spilled food/water much better.

Avoid long layover times, if you can't avoid it, make sure the airport has
an animal room where they can get food/water and A/C (make sure food and
water can be added easily from the outside!)

At last, make sure all your paperworks are in order (health certificate,
etc. etc.)

Best shipping domesticly within the US.  is without any doubts Delta Dash,
expensive ($153.00), but very good service and very short layover times.

Lars Eriksson