Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:32:12 -0500
I too have done what Troy Lynn asked as has several of my dear friends.

At the end of November my friend Lisa Oestereich saw there were 6
ferrets at the Montgomery County Humane Society in Md. (This is a
kill shelter) Lisa went to work trying to find homes for the 6
fuzzies there.

2 boys had been left by a dumpster for dead, and the other 4 were
single turn ins. Lisa contacted a shelter in Va. and 2 young ones were
retrieved She then contacted me. Lisa picked up the remaining 4 ferrets
and paid for their ADV blood tests! Since shelters are so full I
decided to take an older gal, approximately 3-4, who is really is
fantastic shape for her age (the humane society listed her as a 1 year
old) and Lisa decided to keep the old lady who is adrenal, has kidney
issues and is almost blind. I made arrangements for a transport for the
2 boys to Mary McCarty (Lisa drove the boys from her house to my friend
Angie who then took the boys to Mary's inlaws who took them to Mary!).
Lisa took the older gal and the 2 boys to the vet and paid for their
visit since they weren't feeling well.

My little girl, Zoey, is the sweetest, gentlest ferret. She is so happy
and loving and just a delight to have in our house! What a joy it is
to take someone else "trash" and make it your treasure! She shares her
time with another throw away I took in from the Oxford Ferret Rescue.
My sweet Sunny was found by a dumpster in the middle of July, covered
in fleas, dying, and trying desperately to get out of the 115 degree
sun. She struggled so hard to get out of the cage that she actually
broke off a bottom canine tooth. In Dec. at the AFA show in York, Pa.
Sunny took Best Opposite in Companion next to my dear friend Penny's
boy Chevy.

When I look at all my ferrets I thank God that they are with me and
that they are loved and cared for.

My Christmas wish this year is that there will be no ferrets thrown in
dumpsters, no ferrets abused, no ferrets thrown out of car windows,
and no ferrets let outside to fend for themselves! God bless all our
shelter operators and everyone who loves and cares for these wonderful
creatures! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Lisa Vible
AFA Educational Director
Oxford Ferret Rescue Volunteer