From:
Heidi Lepak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:06:50 -0500
Traveling with ferrets is never easy, but it can be done.  I lived in
Puerto Rico for 17 years and was an "undercover" ferret owner.  There were
times that I thought about moving back to the states, but since ferrets
were illegal, though many people had them...just like California, I refused
to leave without my "babies".  The thought of trying to smuggle them out
occurred to me, but had I been caught and them confiscated, I would have
died.  So I patiently waited.

In Jan of 1999, ferrets and other exotics on the island were given
amnesty.  There were papers to fill out and fees to pay and a lot of other
beaurocratic stuff.  Then I waited and waited for my "permisos".  A year
later I still had not received my "papers" and was getting ready to move.
I contacted the agency and they said they would send me the export permits.
They needed to know the exact date I was leaving.  I finally convinced
them to make the papers with a "window" of time, but it was only a 2 week
period.

Then I started to call the airlines.  American is the main airline flying
out of Puerto Rico, but they said "no way, Jose!  No ferrets in the plane.
And at that time of the year none in cargo either"  (Well, MY FERRETS
weren't going in cargo either.)  I finally called Delta, who I had heard
and read on their website that they allowed ferrets in the cabin.  I was
allowed 2 ferrets in the same kennel if it fit under the seat.  The cost
was $60 for the ferrets.  There was no direct flight from San Juan to
Tampa, so we had to go to Atlanta first, change planes and then to Tampa.

The people of Delta were wonderful.  The flight was not full, and I tried
putting the kennel on the seat next to me, but was politely told it had to
go on the floor.  That was ok.  They did go potty in the kennel, but I
just used paper towels to clean it up and put them in the "barf bag".  At
Atlanta, I took them in the restroom and cleaned out their kennel again.
They were not happy campers, it was a very long long day.

What I did to help the situation was I had a large kennel while we drove to
the airport.  At the airport I transferred them to the plane carrier, and
sent the large kennel as excess baggage, nice and clean and ready for when
we landed.  As soon as my luggage came out, I transferred them back into
the bigger kennel.  and then we were off to our "ferret friendly" hotel.
The RedRoof Inn, by the way allows ferrets.  I had made reservations via
the internet, after searching for the right place to stay 10 days while I
was waiting to move into my house.  I just requested "no room service"
since I didn't want anyone accidentally opening the door and having them
get out.

So traveling with ferrets can be done, It just takes time in planning and
some extra $$ to do it right.  Best of Luck to anyone who has to be in
this same situation.

Home Page updated  Aug. 1, 2000
Come see Rocki & Silveretta
www.geocities.com/huronna