From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 19:12:26 -0500
DAY 3 on Gov Welds desk.

Had a conversation with the MSPCA (Mass Society for the Prevention of
Cruelty to Animals) today.  They are aware of the amendment.  In their
words, they are against the bill.  They have written the Governor asking him
not to sign the bill into law, and either veto it or send it back to the
Senate to have the pet store provision removed.  The MSPCA is still and has
always been in favor of the legalization of ferrets but not for the sale in
stores.  So what we feared, has happened.  Course I told the MSPCA that if
this bill gets "killed" because of this, I would have no control over what
the "Ferret Owners" would do and made myself quite clear that you all would
be quite Bull----!  I do hope they got "our" message, remember Rachael Lamb
and the HSUS.

The best thing we can do is continue our lobbying the Governor EVERY DAY
till he signs the bill.  His aide (Charles) has been getting a daily dose of
Sharon every day.

I heard that yesterday the Governors office received over 100 calls from
"Ferret Owners".  Keep up the good work for all you MA people.

I am not giving up till the INK dries on that parchment paper.  Again,
thanks for all your words of encouragement and help on this.