From:
nikie dover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:19:29 -0700
Hi everyone been awhile since I posted, just had an experience that made
me think I should remind all the new ferret owners to keep all new animals
away from the ferrets (no matter how healthy they look) for at least 2
weeks.  I was recently called by my local pound to foster a little siamese
kitten about 2 weeks old and mommy wasn't nursing them.  The pound called
knowing I almost always will help out and that I have several siamese
myself, I picked up the kitten that afternoon, knowing she was too young to
have her first shots, I picked up a wormer and took her home.  Muffin was a
great kitten, but for some reason my oldest fuzz butt kept attacking her
when out, even tried diggin under the bathroom door to get to her.  The
time they met my son forgot to reclose the bathroom door and out she came.
Good for us there were no fluid exchanges, 10 day after bringing muffin
home she started throwing up 30 min later had some seizures and 2 hrs later
was dead, it turned out muffin had distemper, I was upset to find out the
pound suspected as much 2 days after I took her and the other kittens
started dying off, but never notified me.  All my fuzzies are current on
vaccinations even though they nor my kitties ever go outside, and I had to
bleach the whole house one of my older cats contracted it but due to age
and vaccinations all she did was vommit for 2 days and is now better, had
to take everyone in for boosters (expensive).  So just a friendly reminder
to keep up on those vaccinations no telling when they will need them and
to keep all new pets seperated for about 2 weeks.

Nikie