From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:32:40 -0500
Anonymous (flame baiting?) wrote:
>Yeah, so what....The other shelter only cares when it's convenient for
>them?  I'm not a shelter operator, so I can't put myself in there shoes.
>But Ithink they could have come up with a better answer than "too busy".

Why?  I've been "too busy" when Dad has had a stroke, or Steve's dad has
had cardiac surgery, or when our guys required intense levels to care to
get past a crisis, or... Sometimes such things are private.  Anyone who
keeps a shelter ALREADY puts in more time helping ferrets and others than
almost anybody except maybe Bill and even then it's likely to be a draw.
Also, know a number of shelter people who also work extra jobs to help
pay for shelter needs.  Don't be so quick to judge and remember that
someone likely is judging you too quickly at any point, too.  heck, maybe
you weren't flame baiting.  ;-)

To the ones who recently mentioned ECE: Many causes of runs; not all are
ECE.  With a new one also do consider stress runs as a possibility if
mild and only at first.  As far as I know, ECE can NOT, yet, be tested
for in a vet office, but certainly, some parasites can, though they can
sometimes be present and not show up, too, so I doubt your vet tested
in-house for ECE.  ECE is not an easy illness from our experience.  We
had three months of rehydrations, medicating for secondary illnesses,
having an ulcer pop open badly, having kidney damage happen in one,
jumping fast for emergency after emergency... BTW, the ECE runs REEKED;
smelled NECROTIC and would stink the entire house.

Amy and Dave wrote:
>I agree that Sukie is a much better expert about this than I -- I never
>had to deal with ascites or had to have fluid removed -- but I did have a
>ferret live 3 years with cardio, under the caring and expert hand of Dr.
>Weiss.

but we NEVER had one live 3 years after diagnosis, which you did.

        and
>Dr. Weiss began her on maintenance meds immediately to prevent any
>further damage.  One was Lasix and the other was digoxin I believe, but
>it's been a few years and I forget.

Digoxin scares a number of people, and certainly needs to be handled with
care but we have had too often to insist on it being considered because
it scares many vets due to bad experiences with other animals.  That said,
we have had the BEST results when vets could be convinced to use it in
conjunction with Enacard (doses based upon ultrasound results and soon),
and with Lasix when that was needed.  Later we also added Co Enzyme 10 Q to
the mix with good results.  Our individual who could have been lost any day
right from the start (Meltdown) had Digoxin early on due to Bruce Williams'
advice and she had the best and longest control of her cardiomyaopthy of
any of the three.  We've wondered at times if the others would have been
better off if that had been able to be in the mix from the start, but don't
know.  All any of can do are to try and to learn.

>The key to dealing with cardio, in my opinion, is regular visits to the
>vet, including periodic Xrays, and maintenance meds.  Also to be aware of
>coughing spells, which may call for a change in medicines.

Yes, and ultrasounds, and EKGs if a rhythm problem, and being aware of
changes in behavior,or of signs of complications like peripheral edema
(which we encountered in the little girl with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy).
Oh, and know that there is NO upper limit of Lasix -- it's individual
dependent based on how the individual tolerates it.  Diet seems to make no
difference at all.