From:
"T. Bultman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:58:32 +0000
Hello everyone,

I am a new subscriber to the FML.  I have two ferrets, Killick (gib) and
Clarissa (sprite) {any POB fans out there?}.  They are both about 2 1/2
years old.  I got them from what I was told was a reputable breeder.  So
far, so good.  They have been perfectly healthy, aside from a cold or two
that I probably passed on to them.  They get annual checkups from a ferret
friendly vet, are regularly groomed, live in a daily cleaned spacious
penthouse (with a liberal leave policy), eat top notch food (according to
what I have read), and are spoiled rotten.

Thanks to the internet and this (and a few other) email lists, I have begun
to do a little more research into ferrets.  Mind you, I did my homework
before getting my 'rats'.  However, the more I have read, the more uneasy I
have gotten.  It seems my roommates are more fragile than I first thought.
I have read with concern on the email lists the ailments that other ferrets
suffer, and I feel for them and their owners greatly.  But this leads to my
first question: if it is possible to generalize in such a manner (and such
statistics exist), how many ferrets live out healthy and normal lives
versus those that cross the bridge 'early' because of illness?

My second question is also health related.  I am succumbing to ferret math
and am trying to get in touch with local shelters to see about getting some
additional roommates.  My concern lies mainly with what 'nasties' I could
expose my two ferrets to from: 1) visiting the shelter, and 2) bringing
home some new 'rats'.  This question is in no way a reflection of the
shelters, in fact, I have not even been to one yet.  I just don't want to
expose my two to something inadvertently.  Killick and Clarissa have led
fairly sheltered lives themselves, with minimal exposure to other ferrets,
and an occasional visits from my brother's big dopey dog.  Should I find
some adoptees, I want to ensure that I keep everyone healthy.

Up to now, I have admittedly had a "fat, dumb, and happy" attitude in some
regards toward Killick and Clarissa, but that has changed.  I know I can't
change what they may be predisposed to succumbing to, but I can certainly
take measures to prevent something unnecessary from happening.  Any advice,
comments, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tim, Killick, and Clarissa
Manassas, VA

PS: I found out about _Ferrets for Dummies_ by Kim Schilling on this list
and it is, IMHO, an excellent book.  It contains in its ~370 pages all of
what I found poking around on my own and a lot more.