From:
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:33:32 -0800
>From:    MR CHARLES R ONKEN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: QUESTIONS
>For Bob C, she has a question about fitch ferrets.  She has taken in two
>little girls that, she says, look different from any ferret she has ever
>seen.

If we may interject.  We have a few polecat/ferret crosses - these are
sometimes called fitch-ferrets.  There is no real difference in ear shape in
our experiences with these or others hybrids.

>From:    Nichole <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: questions
>What does MF stand for, example, Somebody said they had a MF sable male?

MF in this contet refers to a ferret that was bred by Marshall Farms in New
York state.  We will not comment on MF at this time on the list.  If anyone
cares just send us private email... Thanks.

>What would you call a mostly white with a few light grey spots, dark
>eyed ferret?

The name by the American Ferret Association standard is dark-eyed
white pattern.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hmmmm?, appearances,

Funny huh?  We thought we always thought were saying pretty much the same
advice.  Use treats sparingly.  Pick you species and treat... Same advice.

We agree on the appearances.  Both of us are well paid individuals but we
both tend to "dress down".  Comes from living on what is almost a farm (we
have goats and llamas).  bill is a contract software engineer and really
dresses "geeky".  Since we do have a sense of humor its quite amusing to
watch how some folks think we are "poor white trash" because we live way out
in the country and wear jeans most of the time.

We again assert what we look for as a shelter/breeder placing ferrets is
commitment rather than a large bank balance.  Some folks really can't afford
pets if by that you mean buying the most expensive and best hammocks and
sleep sacks.  But old t-shirts work just fine.

We seek folks who have the commitment to doing the very best that they can
for their charges.  Ae were talking to Jim Scott about this very issue at
the ltest AFA show.  We agree with him that it is important to try to make
sure that a potential adopter can really afford a pet.  But we still are
convinced that that is not enough.  We here at zen are also still of the
opinion that folks that can't afford to only feed Totally Ferret but instead
will make the sacrifices necessary to at least Iams cat food deserve the
joys of ferrets as much as the professionals who can buy a months supply of
Totally Ferret with less than an hours work.  Enough soap box...

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]